The refinement frequency determines how often the driver
checks the refinement criteria and regrids the mesh hierarchy. It only has an impact
if there is mesh refinement allowed in the simulation, i.e. parameter allowedl > 0.
The refinement frequency is controlled through three parameters:
- refine_period_ctrl = 0 [default] indicates to refine every number
of steps as specified by parameter refine_period.
= 1 indicates to refine according to every time
period as specified by parameter refine_period_deltat.
- refine_period : [default value: 1000000] If refine_period_ctrl = 0, refine_period indicates the frequency in total number of timesteps with which regridding will occur.
- refine_period_deltat : [default value: 1000000.0] If refine_period_ctrl = 1, refine_period_deltat indicates the frequency in coordinate time with which regridding will occur.
- There is a known bug which appears if refine_period_ctrl = 0
and refine_period = 1. If you use refine_period_ctrl = 0, be
sure to set refine_period > 1 to avoid this problem.
- Scaling of an AMR simulation can deteriorate significantly by regridding
too frequently. To achieve maximum scaling efficiency, select the refinement
- The parameter refine_period uses the total number of steps
taken by all grids, both coarse and fine, for determining refinement frequency
and not just the number coarse mesh steps taken.
Index of all manual pages